Weight loss surgery in Bradenton
At Blake Medical Center, we offer weight loss solutions so you can feel good about your health. Obesity can result in a wide range of physical effects on the body in addition to contributing to co-morbidities, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea and joint pain. The metabolic specialists at our hospital provide surgical weight loss solutions to help you reach your optimal weight and pursue a healthy lifestyle.
To learn more about the bariatric surgery program at our hospital, please call the program coordinator at (941) 798-6378.
Candidates for bariatric surgery
Bariatric surgery is a procedure for patients who are morbidly obese, typically 100 pounds or more over healthy body weight. If you are obese and have tried traditional forms of weight loss, such as diet and exercise, without success, you may be a candidate for weight loss surgery.
Potential candidates typically meet the following criteria:
- Have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher
- Have a BMI of 35 to 39.9 and have been diagnosed with one or more co-morbid conditions
- Are committed to following the rules of a bariatric surgery program
- Understand that bariatric surgery is a tool that requires lifestyle changes for long-term success
To learn more about bariatric surgery at our hospital, attend a free informational seminar.
What is BMI?
Body mass index, commonly referred to as BMI, is a simple calculation based on your body weight and height. It is considered a reliable indicator of body fat. Use the tool below to calculate your BMI.
Body Mass Index (BMI) is a number calculated from a person's weight and height. BMI provides a reliable indicator of body fatness for most people and is used to screen for weight categories that may lead to health problems.
Your BMI Score is:
All information provided by this website is intended to be general in nature and should not be used as a substitute for a visit with a health care professional. No information provided in this site may be considered medical advice. The information may not be relevant for your individual situation and may be misinterpreted. HCA assumes no responsibility for how you use information obtained from this site. Before making any decisions regarding your health care, ask your personal physician.
Gastric sleeve surgery
The surgeons at our hospital are proud to offer a robotic surgery option for weight loss—the robot-assisted vertical sleeve gastrectomy (gastric sleeve surgery). The gastric sleeve procedure works by removing a portion of the stomach, creating a smaller, tube-like stomach area that restricts your intake of food.
If surgery is a good fit for you, then you will have a surgical consultation with a bariatric surgeon and begin the journey to a healthier lifestyle.
Our bariatric surgery program
The bariatric program at our hospital offers:
- A bariatric dietitian to help assess, monitor and counsel patients before and after surgery to improve adherence to recommendations and maximize weight loss
- A certified bariatric nurse (CBN) for program coordination, patient education, encouragement and support
- Caring, sensitive and compassionate staff with specialized bariatric sensitivity training
- Preoperative and postoperative education classes and support group
- Size-friendly furnishings and equipment for the comfort and safety of our guests and patients