As soon as the first tooth pops out
(HealthDay News) -- It's never too early to begin caring for the teeth, so your baby should visit the dentist soon after the first tooth emerges.
The American Dental Association offers these suggestions to help parents plan baby's first dental visit:
- Schedule the appointment in the morning, when children are often well-rested and tend to be more cooperative.
- Focus on the positive and minimize your own worry. Don't let your child pick up on any of your concerns or anxiety.
- Never threaten your child with a visit to the dentist.
- Do not bribe your child to visit the dentist.
- Have a discussion about going to the dentist so your child can prepare.