HCA Healthcare's Blake Medical Center is pleased to announce that its inaugural class of 15 Internal Medicine residents will be completing their training program on June 30, 2019. These 15 residents came to Blake three years ago from across the country and across the globe to complete their medical training in Bradenton. They became the pioneers of the first residency training program at Blake. These pioneers were instrumental in developing an effective and cohesive program and also have set the stage for every class of residents who will now follow them for years to come.
The Graduate Medical Education Program at Blake Medical Center is currently home to 58 residents across two training programs, the Internal Medicine program as well as the Transitional Year Residency program.
During their three years of training, Internal Medicine residents provide patient care under the supervision of attending physicians who are faculty of the residency program. This team of dedicated faculty members is committed to excellence, leadership, and service. They share their knowledge and experience to help develop a new generation of physicians. Along with hospital administration and employees, faculty members have been a major key to the success of our program. Their dedication to quality and excellence in patient care have helped residents develop, both personally and professionally, into physicians who are ready to practice independently.
A recent graduation ceremony was held to celebrate this monumental achievement. Residents, family, friends, staff and faculty were in attendance as the graduates were presented their diplomas. In addition, Dr. Scott Selph, Program Director of the Transitional Year Residency, recognized his 13 residents for completing their year of training. Those Transitional Year residents are now off to various specialty residency programs across the U.S.
Several awards were given out throughout the evening including:
- Internal Medicine Resident of the Year: Amanda Van Mecl, D.O.
- Transitional Year Resident of the Year: Kadeem Walker, M.D.
- Attending Physician of the Year: Iryna Chyshkevych, M.D.
- Chief Residents Awards: Mark Baker, M.D.; Wajeeha Butt, M.D.; Ian Kahane, M.D; Dilpreet Singh, M.D.
The all 15 graduates are now entering the next phase of their career, and will be headed out to destinations across the country. Blake Medical Center is very fortunate to be retaining two of its graduates who will be working as hospitalists. Four graduates will be continuing their medical education in subspecialty fellowships. The graduates and their destinations are:
- Dr. Mark Baker - Hospitalist, HCA Blake Medical Center, Bradenton, FL
- Dr. Wajeeha Butt - Hospitalist, HCA JFK Medical Center, Atlantis, FL
- Dr. John Guirguis - Nephrology Fellowship, Indiana University
- Dr. Shalini Hemachandran - Outpatient Practice, Bradenton, FL
- Dr. Ian Kahane - Outpatient Practice, Bradenton, FL
- Dr. Ayesha Khan - Hospitalist, Naples, FL
- Dr. Sitara Kishore - Hospitalist, Fort Wayne, IN
- Dr. Rohit Kumar - Hospitalist, Fort Worth, TX
- Dr. Fiorella Pendola - Hospitalist, Seattle WA
- Dr. Daniela Rodrigues - Hospitalist, HCA Blake Medical Center, Bradenton, FL
- Dr. Dilpreet Singh - Cardiology Fellowship, Michigan State University
- Dr. Vijay Srinivasan - Pulmonary/Critical Care Fellowship, HCA Aventura Hospital, Aventura, FL
- Dr. Idrees Suliman - Hospitalist, San Diego, CA
- Dr. KP Tandon - Gastroenterology Fellowship, Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston, FL
- Dr. Alex Zaharcu - Hospitalist, Brentwood, TN
The program is proud to offer our community an opportunity to enhance their access to quality care by attracting a new generation of primary care physicians to our area. On July 1st, 2019, the program will welcome 15 new Internal Medicine residents and 13 new Transitional Year residents as they begin their journey to become practicing physicians.