Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder: They're Not the Same
OCD and OCPD: Counting the Ways They Differ
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Persistent fears of harm coming to themselves or a loved one
- Unreasonable concern with being contaminated
- Intrusive and unacceptable religious, violent, or sexual thoughts
- Excessive need to do things correctly or perfectly
- Excessive checking of door locks, stoves, water faucets, light switches, etc.
- Repeatedly making lists, counting, arranging, or aligning things
- Collecting and hoarding useless objects
- Repeating routine actions a certain number of times until it feels just right
- Unnecessary rereading and rewriting
- Mentally repeating phrases
- Excessive washing, sometimes for hours every day
Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD)
- Be extremely fixated on rules
- Be overly committed to his job
- Refuse to reassign duties to others
- Have unrealistic expectations for others and is very critical
- Follow very strict moral and ethical standards
- Create extensive lists and rules
- Be very stingy with money and may hoard money or other items
Mental Health America http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/
Obsessive Compulsive Foundation http://ocfoundation.org/
Canadian Mental Health Association http://www.cmha.ca/
Canadian Psychiatric Association http://www.cpa-apc.org/
Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/ . Updated April 23, 2012. Accessed June 29, 2012.
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Mental Health America website. Available at: http://www.nmha.org/go/ocd. Accessed June 29, 2012.
Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/ . Updated April 8, 2012. Accessed July 9, 2012.
Obsessive compulsive personality disorder. International OCD Foundation website. Available at: http://www.ocfoundation.org/uploadedFiles/MainContent/Find%5FHelp/OCPD%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf. Accessed July 9, 2012.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 07/2012 -
- Update Date: 07/09/2012 -