Hypnosis: Does It Work?
How Does It Work?
- Focus attention and concentration
- Become absorbed in an activity
- Engage your imagination
- Play a role
- Openness to suggestion
- Trust the hypnotherapist
Who Should Perform Hypnosis?
- Have graduate training from an accredited school
- Have a license in the healthcare field (eg, medicine, psychiatry, psychology, social services, nursing)
- Be a member of professional organizations (eg, the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis, the American Psychological Association)
Can Hypnosis Really Help Me?
- Psychological problems, such as:
- Pain control
- Skin conditions (eg, certain types of warts, psoriasis)
- Smoking cessation
- Weight loss
- Gastrointestinal problems (eg, irritable bowel syndrome)
- Dental procedures (eg, to reduce fear or or to reduce habits, like clenching teeth)
- Tension headache
- Labor and delivery
American Society of Clinical Hypnosis http://www.asch.net/
New England Society for Clinical Hypnosis http://www.nesch.org/
Canadian Society for Clinical Hypnosis http://www.clinicalhypnosis.ca/
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/index%5Fe.html/
Cases of the New England Society. New England Society for Clinical Hypnosis. Available at: http://www.nesch.org. Published March 1998. Accessed June 16, 2008.
Hypnosis. Mayo Clinic website. Available at: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypnosis/MY01020. Updated April 2010. Accessed April 13, 2010.
Hypnosis today: looking beyond the media portrayal. American Psychological Association website. Available at: http://www.apa.org/topics/hypnosis/media.aspx. Accessed May 8, 2012.
Hypnotherapy. EBSCO Natural and Alternative Treatments website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/healthLibrary/. Updated August 1, 2011. Accessed May 8, 2012.
General Info on Hypnosis. American Society of Clinical Hypnosis website. Available at: http://asch.net/Public/GeneralInfoonHypnosis/DefinitionofHypnosis/tabid/134/Default.aspx. Accessed May 8, 2012.
International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis. Society for Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis website. Available at: http://ijceh.educ.wsu.edu/ .
Weight loss. Mayo Clinic website. Available at: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss-hypnosis/AN01617. Updated June 2009. Accessed April 13, 2010.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 05/2012 -
- Update Date: 05/08/2012 -