Understanding Binge Eating Disorder in Men
Defining Binge Eating Disorder
- A sense of lack of control over eating during the episode.
- Eating until they feel uncomfortably full.
- Eating large amounts of food when they do not physically feel hungry.
- Eating alone because of embarrassment at how much they are eating.
- Feeling disgusted with themselves, depressed, or very guilty after overeating.
Risk Factors for Binge Eating Disorder
- Problems dealing with emotions (certain emotions like anger, sadness, worry, or boredom can trigger binge eating)
- Avoids conflict
- Sensitivity to critical comments about weight, appearance, or body shape
- Low self-esteem
- Past experience with being bullied
- Social isolation
How to Get Help
- Behavioral counseling (alone or with a group) to find and control triggers.
- Counseling to achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Treatment of any underlying disorders that contribute binge eating like depression.
National Eating Disorders Organization http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/
Overeaters Anonymous https://www.oa.org/
Overeaters Anonymous—Ontario http://www.oaontario.org/
Overeaters Anonymous—Ottawa http://www.oa-ottawa.org/
Binge Eating disorder in males. National Eating Disorders website. Available at: http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/nedaDir/files/documents/handouts/MalesBED.pdf. Accessed November 7, 2012.
Binge Eating Disorder. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Updated October 3, 2012. Accessed November 7, 2012.
Binge Eating Disorder. National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders website. Available at: http://www.anad.org/get-information/about-eating-disorders/binge-eating-disorder/. Accessed November 7, 2012.
Binge eating. Weight-control Information Network website. Available at http://www.win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/binge.htm. Accessed November 8, 2012
Manwaring JL, Hilbert A, Wilfley, DE, et al. Risk Factors and Patters of Onset in Binge Eating Disorder. The International Journal of Eating Disorders.2006 Mar;39(2):101-7.
Reas DL, Grilo CM: Review and Meta-analysis of Pharmacotherapy for Binge-eating Disorder. Obesity. 2008;July 10.
Reas DL, Grilo CM. Timing and sequence of the onset of overweight, dieting, and binge eating in overweight patients with binge eating disorder. (published electronically ahead of print) Int J Eat Disord. Nov 6, 2006.
Sysko R, Walsh BT: A critical evaluation of the efficacy of self-help interventions for the treatment of bulima nervosa and binge-eating disorder. Int J Eat Disord. 2008;41:97-112.
Vocks S, Tuschen-Caffier B, Pietrowsky R, Rustenbach SJ, Kersting A, Herpertz S. Meta-analysis of the effectiveness of psychological and pharmacological treatments for binge eating disorder. Int J Eat Disord. 2010 Apr;43(3):205-17.
- Reviewer: Brian P. Randall, MD
- Review Date: 11/2012 -
- Update Date: 11/15/2012 -