Can Depression Be Treated Without Medication?
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)—With CBT, you address negative thinking patterns and behaviors and learn new, healthier approaches to deal with life’s challenges.
- Interpersonal therapy—During these therapy sessions, you focus on your relationships with others and the roles that you play.
- Psychodynamic therapy—With this long-term therapy, the therapist helps you examine your childhood and confront challenging issues.
Herbs and Supplements
- S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe)—Small, lower-quality studies suggest that SAMe may be helpful in treating depression.
- Ginkgo—Some evidence hints that ginkgo may reduce depressive symptoms.
- Phenylalanine—Based on some lower-quality studies, this amino acid may be a possible treatment for depression.
- Fish oil—So far, there is no convincing evidence to show that fish oil is more effective than placebo in treating depression.
- 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise (eg, brisk walking) each week along with two (or more) days of strength training
- 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity (eg, jogging, running) each week along with two (or more) days of strength training
- A combination of moderate and vigorous activity along with a strength training routine
Taking the Next Step
Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance http://www.dbsalliance.org/
The National Mental Health Association http://www.nmha.org/
Canadian Mental Health Association http://www.ontario.cmha.ca/
Canadian Psychiatric Association http://www.cpa-apc.org/
Beckmann H. Phenylalanine in affective disorders. Adv Biol Psychiatry. 1983;10:137-147.
Beckmann H, Athen D, Olteanu M, et al. DL-phenylalanine versus imipramine: a double-blind controlled study. Arch Psychiatr Nervenkr. 1979;227:49-58.
Bressa GM. S-adenosyl-l-methionine (SAMe) as antidepressant: meta-analysis of clinical studies. Acta Neurol Scand Suppl. 1994;154:7-14.
Blumenthal JA, Babyak MA, Moore KA et al. Effects of exercise training on older patients with major depression. Arch Intern Med. 1999;159(19):2349-2356.
Blumenthal JA, Babyak MA, Doraiswamy PM,et al. Exercise and pharmacotherapy in the treatment of major depressive disorder. Psychosom Med. 2007;69(7):587-596.
Cognitive behavioral therapy. National Association of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapists website. Available at: http://www.nacbt.org/whatiscbt.htm. Accessed August 30, 2011.
Coping and support. Mayo Clinic website. Available at: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/depression/DS00175/DSECTION=coping-and-support. Accessed August 31, 2011.
Depression. Family Doctor.org website. Available at: http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/mentalhealth/depression/046.html. Accessed August 31, 2011.
Depression alternative treatments. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/. Updated February 2011. Accessed August 31, 2011.
Depression (mild to moderate). EBSCO Natural and Alternative Treatments website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/healthLibrary/. Updated August 1, 2011. Accessed August 31, 2011.
Depression treatment. Helpguide.org website. Available at: http://helpguide.org/mental/treatment%5Fstrategies%5Fdepression.htm. Updated May 2010. Accessed August 31, 2011.
Echols JC, Naidoo U, Salzman C. SAMe (S-adenosylmethionine). Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2000;8:84-90.
Eckmann F. Cerebral insufficiency—treatment with Ginkgo-biloba extract. Time of onset of effect in a double-blind study with 60 inpatients [translated from German]. Fortschr Med. 1990;108:557-560.
Heller B. Pharmacological and clinical effects of D-phenylalanine in depression and Parkinson's disease. In: Mosnaim AD, Wolf ME, eds. Noncatecholic Phenylethylamines. Part 1. New York, NY: Marcel Dekker; 1978:397-417.
Hou WH, Chiang PT, Hsu TY, Chiu SY, Yen YC. Treatment effects of massage therapy in depressed people: a meta-analysis. J Clin Psychiatry. 2010;71(7):894-901.
How much physical activity do adults need? Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/adults.html. Updated March 30, 2011. Accessed August 30, 2011.
Interpersonal psychotherapy for depression. University of Michigan Depression Center website. Available at: http://www.med.umich.edu/depression/ipt.htm. Updated February 2, 2006. Accessed August 30, 2011.
Jorm AF, Morgan AJ, Hetrick SE. Relaxation for depression. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008;(4):CD007142.
Lin PY, Su KP. A meta-analytic review of double-blind, placebo-controlled trials of antidepressant efficacy of omega-3 fatty acids. J Clin Psychiatry. 2007;68:1056-1061.
Maratos AS, Gold C, Wang X, Crawford MJ. Music therapy for depression. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008;(1):CD004517.
Mead GE, Morley W, Campbell P, Greig CA, McMurdo M, Lawlor DA. Exercise for depression. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009;(3):CD004366.
Moritz S, Quan H, Rickhi B, Liu M, Angen M, Vintila R, Sawa R, Soriano J, Toews J. A home study-based spirituality education program decreases emotional distress and increases quality of life—a randomized, controlled trial. Altern Ther Health Med. 2006;12(6):26-35.
Psychodynamic therapy. Simple Psych website. Available at: http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/simplepsych/204.html. Accessed August 30, 2011.
Schubert H, Halama P. Depressive episode primarily unresponsive to therapy in elderly patients: efficacy of Ginkgo biloba. Geriatr Forsch. extract EGb 761 in combination with antidepressants [translated from German]. 1993;3:45-53.
Smith CA, Hay PP, Macpherson H. Acupuncture for depression. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010 Jan 20;(1):CD004046.
Treatment options for depression. Cleveland Clinic website. Available at: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/depression/hic%5Ftreatment%5Foptions%5Ffor%5Fdepression.aspx. Updated May 2010. Accessed August 31, 2011.
Wang C, Bannuru R, Ramel J, Kupelnick B, Scott T, Schmid CH. Tai Chi on psychological well-being: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2010;10:23.
Woolery A, Myers H, Sternlieb B, Zeltzer L. A yoga intervention for young adults with elevated symptoms of depression. Altern Ther Health Med. 2004;10(2):60-63.
- Reviewer: Ryan Estevez, MD, PhD, MPH
- Review Date: 09/2011 -
- Update Date: 10/07/2011 -