The support of family and friends is vitally important as a patient adapts to a new challenge. Family members face their own challenges as they struggle to cope with the sudden onset of change for their loved one. Each individualized therapy care plan includes support for the patient’s family, caregivers, and friends. All members have an opportunity to learn about their role and each is asked to participate in therapy training sessions, as needed.
Patients and families have access to a monthly Amputee Support Group that is facilitated by the Physical Therapy Department. The group provides socialization, education and support to individuals who have experienced the loss of physical ability due to amputation as well as their caregivers and professionals. This team encourages the development and utilization of resources to improve the quality of life for amputees and their families. The expertise of physicians, therapists, prosthetists, various healthcare providers, members of the community and others involved in the care of individuals who have experienced a loss of limb will be available through:
- Discussion groups to talk about problems and solutions in a structured and supportive environment
- Guest lectures
- Social activities
- Education regarding services available in the community
Visit our calendar for more information.
Our focus is on providing our patients with outstanding therapeutic intervention while in our facility. Patients are treated by experienced therapists who have access to current, evidence-based approaches utilizing therapeutic equipment such as:
- Apartment with full bathroom, kitchen and laundry appliances/equipment set up for activities of daily living (ADLs) training
- Bioness® L300 Foot Drop System – Functional Electrical Stimulation
- BTE Primus Trainer for Upper/Lower/Core Conditioning
- TIMS Dicom System for radiographic examination of swallowing
- Interactive Metronome (IM)Therapy including Gait Mate
- Iowa Oral Performance Instrument (IOPI) System for objective measurement and exercise parameters related to swallowing/speech therapy
- LiteGait® Partial Weight Bearing Therapy
- Nintendo® Wii Fit™ Program
- VitalStim® Swallowing Therapy
The Rehabilitation Center offers various specialty therapy services so that the patient may achieve their greatest functional recovery possible. These services include:
- Therapeutic Recreation
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Speech-Language Pathology
Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialists assess and treat recreational therapy needs, deficiencies, interests, barriers, life experiences and potential for reintegrating into the community through:
- Functional Skill Development
- Social Adjustment Skill Training
- Leisure Skill Development
- Leisure Education and Counseling
- Community Reintegration Training
- Humor Project
- Magic Therapy
- Pet Therapy
Visit the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification® for more information on this important therapy.
Occupational Therapy allows patients to adapt to their social and physical environment once an illness or disease has altered their living skills. http://www.aota.org
Physical Therapy addresses impairments that cause pain or limit functional independence. Our goal is to restore function, improve mobility, relieve pain, and prevent or limit permanent physical disabilities. http://www.apta.org
Our goal is to improve the patient’s ability to communicate and/or swallow to the highest functional level possible. http://www.asha.org
The Rehabilitation Team is led by the Social Worker from the day of admission in planning appropriate discharge needs. This planning process includes weekly team meetings, attended by all therapists, physiatrist, social worker/case manager, orthotic personnel and nursing. The goal is to discuss medical and therapeutic progress, current and needed changes to goals, discharge destinations and educational needs. The results of this meeting are shared with the patient and family/caregivers by the social worker/case manager.
Discharge planning is an important step in the rehabilitative process. Upon discharge from our center, equipment and home or outpatient services are coordinated to complete the final stages of the rehabilitation program.
Blake Medical Center offers ongoing Rehabilitation Services via outpatient Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy services on our main campus and in our Physical Therapy Outpatient Clinic in Blake Park.
Our outpatient therapists hold various certifications and possess specialized training that assists the patient in continuing their goal of achieving maximum potential.