Our program combines advanced diagnosis and treatment with compassionate care for individuals fighting most types of cancer. Our program has been accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer since 1988.
Cancer Care Team
We believe in working together to care for our patients. The Cancer Care Team consists of:
- Medical Oncologists
- Physician Specialists: GI, Dermatologists, Urologists, Gynecologists, Pulmonologists
- Radiation Oncologists
Breast Care Center
Blake Medical Center is proud to be the ONLY Accredited Breast Care Center in Manatee & Sarasota Counties by the American College of Surgeons, National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers. We are also accredited by the American College of Radiology for Mammography. These designations demonstrate our commitment to maintaining the highest level of clinical care for our patients.
Cancer Education, Screenings, and Support
- Caring Friends Support Group: For Cancer patients, their families, and friends in coping with cancer and its treatment. The group meets every Wednesday at Blake Medical Center in the Cancer Resource Room from 5:30-6:30 pm. For more information, please call (941) 798-6572.
- Lymphedema: For information on education and support for people with lymphedema and for those who are at risk for lymphedema please contact Marsha Shuford, OTR,CLT,CHT at (941) 798-6087.
- Breast Exercise Class for Cancer Patients: Exercise is an important component in the recovery process. Learn techniques to improve breast health, prevent and minimize risk of lymphedema, increase range of motion, increase strength, and improve overall wellbeing. Offered at Blake Medical Center in partnership The Center for Building Hope. For more information or questions call Marsha Shuford, OT/CLT/CHT at 941-798-2141.
- For additional screenings and events, such as Belly Dancing and Yoga for cancer patients, or our monthly Lunch & Learn series with medical guest speakers, please visit our cancer resources calendar.
Lung Cancer Screening
Consider a lung screening if the following statements describe you:
- You are between 55-74 years old
- You are a current or former smoker and have a history or 30 or more "pack years" (number of packs per day times number of years smoking) and have quit within the last 15 years
- You have never been diagnosed with lung cancer
- You have no prior history of cancer (other than non-melanoma skin cancer) within the past 5 years
Genetic Counseling and Testing
We offer genetic counseling and testing services in partnership with Informed DNA and Myriad.
Breast Patient Care Navigator
Patty Madsen, RN
"Each day new lives are touched by cancer. My hope is to improve the journey for each patient and their family by providing compassion, support, education and individualized attention. I strive to be a comfort to them and to connect them with resources that can help every step of the way."
Lung & Colon Patient Care Navigator
Kelsie Corry, RN, BSN