The Cancer Care program at Blake Medical Center combines advanced diagnosis and treatment with compassionate care for individuals fighting most types of cancer. Our program has been accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer since 1988.
Congratulations!! Our Oncology program recently received Full Accreditation from the Commission on Cancer (CoC).
Find out more about the CoC »
- Physician Specialists: GI, Dermatologists, Urologists, Gynecologists, Pulmonologists
Cancer Care Team
From prevention to the latest diagnostic tools and treatment options, we are committed to providing outstanding cancer care to the patients we serve. Our physician team includes medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, pathologists and surgeons.
- View our cancer care team (PDF - 604 KB)
Breast Care Center
Blake Medical Center is proud to be the only Accredited Breast Care Center in Manatee & Sarasota Counties by the American College of Surgeons, National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers. This designation demonstrates our commitment to maintaining the highest level of clinical care for our patients.
Our diagnostic services include:
- Digital Screening Mammography
- Digital Diagnotsic Mammography
- Computer-Aided Detection (CAD)
- Minimally Invasive Stereotactic Biopsy
- Breast Ultrasound
- Minimally Invasive Ultrasound-guided Biopsy
- Breast MRI
- Bone Densitometry
Cancer Education, Screenings, and Support
- Caring Friends Support Group: This group is designed for Cancer patients, their families, and friends in coping with cancer and its treatment. The group meets every Wednesday at Blake Medical Center in the Cancer Resource Room from 5:30-6:30 pm. With 339 years of combined experience, we continue to ensure that patients can receive the care they need, right in our own community, close to family and friends. For more information, please call (941) 798-6572.
- Lymphedema: For information on education, information and support for people with lymphedema and for those who are at risk for lymphedema please contact Marsha Shuford, OTR,CLT,CHT at (941) 798-6087.
- Breast Cancer Exercise Class: Exercise is an important component in the recovery process to breast cancer. Learn techniques to improve breast health, prevent and minimize risk of lymphedema, increase range of motion, increase strength, and improve overall well being. Offered at Blake Medical Center in partnership with the Cancer Support Community Florida Suncoast. For more information or questions call Marsha Shuford, OT/CLT/CHT at 941-798-2141.
- For screenings and events, please visit our cancer resources calendar.
Lung Cancer Screening
Consider a lung screening if the following statements describe you:
- You are between 55-74 years old
- You are a current or former smoker and have a history or 30 or more "pack years" (number of packs per day times number of years smoking) and have quit within the last 15 years
- You have never been diagnosed with lung cancer
- You have no prior history of cancer (other than non-melanoma skin cancer) within the past 5 years
Patty Madsen, RN
"Each day new lives are touched by cancer. My hope is to improve the journey for each patient and their family by providing compassion, support, education and individualized attention. I strive to be a comfort to them and to connect them with resources that can help every step of the way."
Kelsie Corry, RN, BSN