Bathe in oatmeal or baking soda
(HealthDay News) -- Poison ivy rash usually isn't dangerous, but it sure is uncomfortable.
The American Academy of Dermatology offers these suggestions to help ease the itch:
- Take a short, lukewarm oatmeal bath in a solution bought at the drug store.
- Take a lukewarm bath and add 1 cup of baking soda to the bath water.
- Take a short, cool shower.
- Apply calamine lotion to the rash.
- Apply a cool compress (wash cloth dampened with cold water) to the itchy skin.
- Don't use a topical antihistamine, which could worsen the rash. But do take an oral antihistamine.