Serving Size For 4 ounces of chicken, without skin, and ½ of vegetables
Total Fat 18.5 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Sodium 1,014 mg
Total Carbohydrate 70 g
Dietary Fiber 10 g
Protein 37 g
Ingredients and Preparation
Carrots, peeled and cut into thirds 3
Small red potatoes, quartered 4
Medium yellow onion, quartered 1
Olive oil 1 tablespoon + 2 tablespoons
Salt ¼ + ½ + ½ teaspoon
Freshly ground pepper 1/8 + ¼ teaspoon
Large garlic cloves, minced 2
Parsley, freshly chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried 2 tablespoons
Thyme, freshly chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried 2 tablespoons
Chicken (3-4 pounds) 1
Lemon, quartered 1
Fresh rosemary sprigs 2
- Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- Place carrots, potatoes, and onions in an oven-safe baking dish or roasting pan. Toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and season with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Spread vegetables to the edges of the baking dish, making room for chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/8 teaspoon pepper, ½ teaspoon salt, and garlic. Add the parsley and thyme and combine into a paste. Mix in the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Remove and discard the giblets from the cavity of the chicken, rinse the chicken under cold running water, and pat dry. Place the chicken, breast-side up, in the center of the baking dish. Beginning at the neck, carefully slide your hand under the skin, making space between the skin and meat. Rub the herb paste between the skin and meat.
- Season the cavity and skin with the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt. Put the lemon quarters and rosemary sprigs inside the cavity.
- Roast the chicken and vegetables for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the thigh joint, away from the bone, registers 170˚F-175˚F. If the bird is browning too quickly, cover with aluminum foil.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter, cover loosely with aluminum foil, and let stand for 10-15 minutes. Carve the chicken and serve the vegetables alongside. Drizzle with any remaining juices.