Warning! Don’t eat the chilies unless you love very spicy foods; they’re added for flavor.
Serving Size ½ of recipe
Total Fat 20 g
Saturated Fat 6.5 g
Sodium 572 mg
Total Carbohydrate 10 g
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
Protein 25 g
Ingredients and Preparation
Reduced-sodium chicken broth ½ cup
Low-sodium soy sauce 1 tablespoon
Zest of ½ orange (finely grate the orange part of the peel; yields about ½ teaspoon zest)
Cornstarch 1 teaspoon
Canola oil 2 teaspoons
Sirloin steak, cut into 2-inch by ½-inch strips ½ pound
Clove garlic, minced 1
Small carrot, peeled and sliced diagonally 1
Small red bell pepper, chopped 1
Small dried red chilis (optional) 2
Scallions, thinly sliced 2
- In a small bowl, combine broth, soy sauce, orange zest, and cornstarch until cornstarch dissolves. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak and stir-fry for about 3 minutes, until browned. Stir in garlic, carrot, and bell pepper, and stir-fry another 3 minutes, or until carrot is slightly tender.
- Add chilis and cook entire mixture 2-3 more minutes, or until meat reaches desired degree of doneness.
- Pour cornstarch mixture into pan and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, until sauce begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat, stir in scallions, and serve.