This dish goes nicely with a green leaf lettuce and cucumber salad and a dinner roll. Plantains or corn can be used in place of the potatoes.
Serving Size 3 ounces of beef with 1 cup vegetables
Total Fat 15 g
Total Carbohydrate 21 g
Protein 27 g
Ingredients and Preparation
Lean beef or turkey breast cut into cubes 1 pound
Whole wheat flour
Salt (optional) ¼ teaspoon
Pepper ¼ teaspoon
Cumin ¼ teaspoon
Olive oil 1½ tablespoons
Garlic, minced 2 cloves
Medium onions, sliced 2
Celery, sliced 2 stalks
Medium red/green bell pepper, sliced 1
Medium tomato, finely minced 1
Beef or turkey broth, fat removed 5 cups
Small potatoes, peeled and cubed 5
Small carrots 12
Green peas 1¼ cups
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix the whole wheat flour with salt, pepper, and cumin, and roll the beef or turkey cubes in the mixture. Shake off excess flour.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef or turkey cubes and sauté until nicely brown, about 7-10 minutes.
- Place the beef or turkey in an ovenproof casserole.
- Add minced garlic, onions, celery, and peppers to the skillet and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato and broth. Bring to a boil and pour over the turkey or beef pieces. Cover the casserole tightly and bake for 1 hour at 375°F.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the potatoes, carrots, and peas. Bake for another 20-25 minutes, or until tender.