Substitutions, like applesauce instead of butter, lower the amount of fat and calories compared to traditional chocolate chip cookie recipes.
Ingredients and Preparation
Applesauce ½ cup
White sugar ¾ cup
Packed brown sugar ¾ cup
Eggs 1 whole egg and 1 egg white
Vanilla extract 2 teaspoons
All-purpose flour 3 cups
Baking soda 1 teaspoon
Hot water 2 teaspoons
Salt ½ teaspoon
Mini chocolate chips 1 cup
Walnuts 1 cup
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine applesauce, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
- Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour, chocolate chips, and nuts.
- Drop by large spoonfuls onto ungreased pans.
- Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven or until edges are nicely browned.