This heart-healthy pie crust is made with vegetable oil and skim milk.
Serving Size 1 slice
Saturated Fat less than 1 g
Cholesterol 40 mg
Sodium 98 mg
Ingredients and Preparation
Flour 1¼ cups
Sugar ¼ teaspoon
Skim milk 1/3 cup
Vegetable oil 2 tablespoons
White sugar ¼ cup
Brown sugar ¼ cup
Salt ½ teaspoon
Nutmeg ¼ teaspoon
Large eggs, beaten 3
Evaporated skim milk, canned ¼ cup
Vanilla extract 1 teaspoon
Sweet potatoes (cooked and mashed) 3 cups
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Combine the flour and sugar in a bowl.
- Add milk and oil to the flour mixture.
- Stir with fork until well-mixed and then form pastry into a smooth ball with your hands.
- Roll the ball between two 12-inch squares of waxed paper using short, brisk strokes until pastry reaches edge of paper.
- Peel off top paper and invert crust into pie plate.
- Combine sugars, salt, spices, and eggs. Add milk and vanilla.
- Add sweet potatoes and mix well. Pour mixture into pie shell.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until crust is golden brown.