This dish is baked and flavored with a Mediterranean-style tomato, onion, and garlic sauce to make it lower in fat and salt.
Serving Size 4 oz fillet with sauce
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 56 mg
Sodium 281 mg
Ingredients and Preparation
Olive oil 2 teaspoons
Large onion, sliced 1
Whole tomatoes, drained (reserve juice) and coarsely chopped 1 can (16 ounces)
Bay leaf 1
Garlic clove, minced 1
Dry white wine 1 cup
Reserved tomato juice, from canned tomatoes ½ cup
Lemon juice ¼ cup
Orange juice ¼ cup
Fresh grated orange peel 1 tablespoon
Fennel seeds, crushed 1 teaspoon
Dried oregano, crushed ½ teaspoon
Dried thyme, crushed ½ teaspoon
Dried basil, crushed ½ teaspoon
Black pepper to taste
Fish fillets (sole, flounder, or sea perch) 1 pound
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet. Add onion, and sauté over moderate heat 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add all remaining ingredients except fish.
- Stir well and simmer 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Arrange fish in 10 x 6 inch baking dish; cover with sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375ºF about 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily.